1. Why are large landowners disinclined to make as much profit as possible on their land, or to care for its maintenance?
2. How does the colonial system discourage the creation of capital?
3. Describe the connection between the rural monopolies in agricultural and mining land and urban poverty. (Can you think of a parallel development in U.S. history?)
4. Why was it more characteristic in Latin America than in England or the United States to legislate public ownership or control over subsurface mineral resources?
5. What were some of the difficulties encountered in implementing land redistribution in Mexico?
6. Describe the approach to land reform adopted in Argentina under the "Law of Emphyteusis."
7. What is the fundamental difference between the "redistribution" approach to land reform and the land laws of the Bible?
8. What are some of the structural obstacles to implementing land reforms in Latin America?
9. Is there a basis for private property in the Old Testament law? If so, what is it?