1. Considering the essay on ownership, how do you interpret the widespread resentment felt over "welfare state" policies? In what sense is this resentment justifiable? In what sense is it misguided?
2. a) What are some examples of jobs that are well-remunerated because of their danger, dullness or unpleasantness?
b) What are some examples of jobs in which people sacrifice financial rewards in favor of greater personal satisfaction?
3. Some economists estimate that as much as 10% of the gross domestic product of the U. S. takes place in the "underground economy" -- cash or barter transactions that are untraceable and therefore untaxed. Surprisingly, the trade in illegal drugs is not the largest sector of the underground economy; most of it is simply the black-market trade of otherwise legal goods & services. Comment on the ethics of this.
4. Liberation Theologian Leonardo Boff elaborates three historical models of the Church and its role in society. Briefly describe each.
a) City of God
b) Mater et Magistra (Mother and Teacher)
c) Sacrament of Salvation
5. Boff calls for a new fourth paradigm, which he calls "the Church of People-hood and Justice for All." Why does this model emphasize the community more than the individual?
6. What was the link between the Canaanites' worship of Baal and their land tenure system?
7. What do these verses from the Book of Leviticus mean to you?
a) And when ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not wholly reap the corners of thy field, neither shalt thou gather the gleanings of thy harvest./ And thou shalt not glean thy vineyard, neither shalt thou gather every grape of thy vineyard; thou shalt leave them for the poor and the stranger: I am the Lord your God.
b) The land shall not be sold for ever: for the land is mine; ye are strangers and sojourners with me.
8.a) What is the origin of the use of the word "lot" to refer to a piece of land?
b) How do the translations of Hebrew words for "lease," "rent" and "sell" show the character of land tenure under the Old Testament Law?
9. What deeper social evil is symbolized by the golden calves?