1. To what stage in Latin America's history do the authors compare the Israelites' forty-year exile in the desert?
2. How did Gutierrez's view on developmentalism differ from the prevailing optimism of the 1950s?
3. 39. Has the United States ever been an underdeveloped nation? Explain.
4. How does the contrast between Canada and Albania show some of the weaknesses of dependency theory?
5. According to Gutierrez's later view, why is dependency theory of questionable value as a diagnosis of poverty in "developing" nations?
6. Although liberation theology has been labeled by conservative critics as "a smokescreen for Marxism", what are some significant ways in which the liberationist world view differs from the Marxist view?
7. For Marx, what is the source of the alienation of workers?
8. How does the spiritual alienation recognized by Christian doctrine differ from Marx's concept of alienation?
9. What is Marx's term for the difference between the exchange value of a product and the "labor time socially necessary" to produce that product? Why did Marx consider this differential to be "the measure of exploitation"?
10. According to the authors, what did Marx fail to realize about the role of capital?